Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Best Goodnight Painting: Starry Night


Vincent Van Gogh's Starry Night wins my award for best nighttime painting. It also evokes a memory that I hope all my 20-something readers out there will remember - a scene from Boy Meets World in which Topanga asks Corey what the meaning of Van Gogh's painting is. "I see an attack," he says, to Topanga's astonishment. "An attack from another world." Now despite Corey's immaturity (c'mon, everyone knows Shawn was the best male character), Topanga gives a beautiful interpretation of the painting.

"God is protecting the people in this little town," she says. "They live their lives, and they come out of their houses. They see the sky, and they know God’s protection and love, and that everything will be alright." I just love that idea. That in some way the nighttime stars are God protecting - and saying goodnight - to the villagers below.

No comments: